Thursday, August 6, 2009

Distractions



Curiosity always seems to get the better of me. Just like Pandora, if I see a box that I know I probably should not open- I just have to take a "peek". It is good to remember, some things are closed for a reason. For me, the biggest temptation is to look into the box labeled "the past".

In the beginning of this new spiritual path, I knew that it order to move forward- I could not retrace my past steps. Man, it is hard! I find myself missing some of the drama and often wondering "what is going on?" I also spend a lot of time thinking about the past and the events of my life that got me to where I am now.

Physically, I am alive at this moment- August 6th 2009 at 8:44 AM (CST). Yet, most of the time I live in the past. By paying attention to my thoughts- I notice how often I travel backward. There is a part of me that is stuck in some kind of weird space-time continuum. For no apparent reason I will start thinking about some random event that happened in 1981 or whatever.

Many of my reactions to events are based on past experiences. When a new situation arises that has some similar "essence" to a past event- I bring those dead memories back to life. I am like Dr. Frankenstein- always trying to give life to that which is dead and buried. I know that experience is our greatest teacher, and by embracing the wisdom learned- we grow. What stunts our growth is trying to use the same solution and applying it to all situations.

You cannot use addition to solve a subtraction equation. I realize that in many cases, that is what I am doing. I have the skill to solve the equation, but for some strange reason- I keep using the wrong formula. I think that perhaps this is out of "habit" or maybe it is just plain old laziness.

I wonder, what magical things would appear if I use the correct the solution? What would happen if I kept my thoughts and feelings focused on the present? I am reminded of the old saying "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing- yet, expecting different results". No wonder I am driving myself (and probably everyone around me) crazy!
Starting today, I will embrace this new insight. When I am tempted to resurrect the past- I will remind myself that I am no longer the same person- therefore the past is not applicable. If I continue to expect to see the same things- I will miss all of the amazing new sights that are there, if only I would open my eyes to their existence.

I must resist the temptation to look in the box that is labeled "the past". In that box are things that I prefer not to see again. Of course, there are also wonderful memories residing there and those I will always cherish. Yet, when you open a box- you cannot always control what comes out.

Personally, I do not want to give life to dead things- I choose to embrace my magic and create wonderful new experiences and opportunities. No longer will I be distracted by the scary skeletons rattling for attention.


No comments: